Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Going Postal - The Drive-thru Divas

We have a unique feature - the drive-through post office! It's meant to be a convenience, but as usual, there are people who abuse it.

Mailing a package? Before you come to the drive-thru, it helps if the item you are mailing is already packaged. I've had people drive up with stuff in a plastic bag and they want me to get them a box or an envelope. That's not a problem if they want to use USPS Priority mail because we keep those behind the counter. We also have shipping supplies (envelopes, boxes, tape) that we sell out in the store area.

Some people get testy if I ask them if they are going to use priority mail. Believe me, I'm NOT trying to rip you off. For a small package, there might be $1 difference betweeen priority and parcel post (the cheapest mail service). The priority box is free...... but if you want to use parcel post, you'll have to provide your own box. And if you show up in the drive-thru without a box, you'll have to buy one from us. So you are going to spend $1.29 or $1.99 just to buy the box, and then pay postage to ship it parcel post, instead of using the free priority box and spending an extra $1 on postage. Not to mention, your package gets delivered faster. In most cases, it will be cheaper to mail it priority with the free box.

If you want me to go out into the store and get you an envelope while you tie up the line in the drive-thru, and then wait while you address it and finish your transaction, I'm not going to pick out the 21 cent manila envelope for you. You're going to get the 99 cent bubble envelope. If you want the cheapest, park your car, come into the store and pick out your own envelope. Got that? Okay.

Drive-thru diva of the week was the hot mama in the back seat of the Ford F150 extended cab pickup. Blonde and slow daughter was driving. Mama holds up a little makeup bag/purse and says she wants to mail this to Dallas. I get her a priority envelope and mailing label. She looks at me and says "I am illiterate. Can you please fill out the label for me?"

I grab my clipboard, standing next to her truck, while she is applying mascara...... she then proceeds to spell the name of the person to whom she is mailing the package, AND the name of the street. Why do I feel like a sucker here?

Dumb blonde daughter in the front seat is filling out an envelope to be mailed. I ring up mama's package, take her money, and expect them to drive off. But dumb blonde daugher isn't ready yet. Now there are about four more cars behind them.

Finally blondie's ready and I take the letter she wants to mail. Total transaction time, about 15 minutes.

Ridiculous.

No comments: