Monday, July 14, 2008

Time for a change ....... COFFEE

It is a few weeks past my 49th birthday. That means I am beginning my 50th year (as my husband likes to point out grrrrr). And I am thinking that there is stuff I need to do in my life. Doesn't everyone have things that they are always going to get around to doing? My list is pretty long, but today I am going to do something that is easy and doesn't require much effort (or money).

I am going to teach myself to like coffee! Yes, I am 49 years old and I don't drink coffee! To be honest, I've never really tried it. Oh, well I've tried a sip now and then. But probably not in the last 30 years.

I have always loved the smell of coffee. Who doesn't? It's warm and aromatic. It smells like my mother's kitchen when I would wake up in the morning as a little girl. It is the scent of diners in the wee hours of the morning after the bars close when I was a twentysomething who still went to bars.

I have been a tea drinker all my life. I love tea - all kinds of tea. Black tea, green tea, herb tea..... no milk, just a little bit of artificial sweetener (sugar left my universe about 15 years ago).
Once I moved to Texas, I learned that you had to be specific when you tell a waitress you want "tea". If you say "tea", they bring you a glass of iced tea! You must tell them "hot" tea. That is just the opposite of ordering tea in the northeast.

I have a coffeemaker. It is here for when we have guests, or for my mother. So I decided this morning to make coffee..... FOR ME.

Smells so good. I know I added too much milk, but let's start out with baby steps here. No sweetener though. Let's see how this works out.

It smells so good. It tastes...... bitter. But it's not so very terrible. Yummy it is not. But I can drink it without gagging.

Now, the coffee at the bottom of the cup is cold. I probably should have finished it before I started typing this post. But I got through almost a whole cup. Progress. We'll do this again tomorrow. It will get better, right?

No comments: